I recently organized a scavenger hunt for our end of Sunday School picnic. For the younger children, I made a list of clues in rhyming verse that are drawn from the Bible,
which are underlined, but I didn't include Bible references. For the older kids, I had fill in the blank clues that had Bible references they could look up to find the answer if they
didn't know it. I went to a local variety store and bought little trinkets for each of the clues in the scavenger hunt, except for items that could be found around the park, such as branches. Since the majority of the children were quite young, I
didn't hide the objects in real difficult places, mostly just scattering them around by bushes and trees. The kids had a great time and the adults enjoyed it too.
Hidden around and throughout the trees
Are things for you to find
Of Jesus' teachings and other Bible stories
They will each of us remind
Just like the wise men followed a star
To lead them to baby Jesus
Look for a star from where you are
It will glow when the dark night comes.
Jesus said, "I'm the vine, you're the branches,"
to point out his relationship with us,
Look around among the trees and chance is
You'll find a branch to show us.
When the flood was ending and Noah sent
A dove to see what was happening,
She came back carrying a great present,
An olive leaf, can you find one around?
A little boy shared his lunch one day
In it he had bread and fish
Jesus was happy and thank you did say
Then fed 5,000 people with it.
Pharaoh was naughty and did not listen
When Moses said, "Let my people go."
God sent lots of frogs to fill their land.
Do you think you can find one too?
Pharaoh didn't learn his lesson real well
Said "no" again when Moses asked.
Grasshoppers from heaven then fell
To find one you are now tasked.
Rebekah helped water the camels
Of a stranger from afar
Then a bracelet and ring he did give her
Can you find one hidden somewhere?
God painted a beautiful rainbow
All across the sky
If you look high and low
A special rainbow you will spy.
In the beginning God made
The sun, and earth and moon
If from the hunt you have not strayed
You will see one soon.
Joshua and his men obeyed God
When they marched and blew their horns
If you look around where you trod
A trumpet your lips can adorn.
Two of each animal rode on Noah's ark
When water covered the earth
An animal stamp hides in this park
Are you ready to finish the search?
The snake was a sneaky fellow
When Eve with his words he did trick
If you look around in the shadows
You'll find this fellow whose slick.
The offering of the widow
Was two coins for the church
If you look around where you go
You'll find a coin on your search.
Even though his son had been bad
The father was happy to see him
A ring he gave him instead of getting mad
What a wonderful surprise to greet him!
"Take the sandals from your feet,"
God told Moses from the burning bush.
This will be your final treat
Can you find the sandals in a rush?
Hidden throughout the park are the items talked about in these Bible verses and stories. Fill in the blank to figure out what you are looking for and then search the designated area in the park to find the object. Collect each object in your bag.
1) John 15:5 - Jesus said, "I am the vine and you are the ________."
2) Genesis 8:11 - Noah sent a dove out from the ark and it returned with an olive ____ in her mouth and Noah knew the waters of the flood were going down.
3) Matthew 14:15 - The boy shared the meal he had packed. Jesus used the five loaves and two ____ to feed the 5,000 people.
4) Exodus 8:2-3 - The second plague visited upon pharaoh and the Egyptians was _____. "So the river shall bring forth ____ abundantly."
5) Exodus 10:4-5 - The eighth plague visited on pharaoh and his people was _______. "They shall cover the face of the earth and they shall eat every tree which grows out of the field."
6) Genesis 24:22 - Abraham sent his servant to find a wife for his son Isaac. "So it was when the camels had finished drinking that the man took a golden nose ring and two _________ for her wrists and said, 'Whose daughter are you?'"
7) Genesis 9:13 - God made a covenant with Noah never again to destroy the earth with a flood. God said, "I set my _______ in the cloud and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth."
8) Luke 23:44-45 - On the day that Jesus died, there was darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour; the ___ was darkened.
9) Joshua 6 - God commanded Joshua and his army to march around the city of Jericho seven times on the seventh day and the priests shall blow the _______. And the people shall shout and the city wall will fall down.
10) Genesis 6 - God told Noah to bring onto the ark two of every living thing, of the birds after their kind, of _______ after their kind, and of every creeping thing.
11) Matthew 2:2 - Now after Jesus was born n Bethlehem, wise men from the east came to Jerusalem saying, "Where is He who has been born King of the Jews, for we have seen his ____ in the East."
12) Genesis 3 - And the ______ said to Eve, "Did God really say you shouldn't eat of every tree of the Garden?"
13) Mark 12:42 - One poor widow came and threw two ______ into the treasury. Jesus said to his disciples, "This poor widow has put in more than all those who have given to the treasury."
14) Luke 15:22 - In the parable of the lost son, when the son returns home the father says to his servants, "Bring out the best robe and put it on him, and put a ____ on his hand and sandals on his feet."
15) Exodus 3:5 - Moses saw a burning bush in the desert, but it was not consumed by the flames. God called to him from the midst of the bush and said, "Moses, Moses!" And Moses said, "Here I am." Then God said, "Do not draw near to this place. Take off your _______ for the place where you stand is holy ground."
9. horn or trumpet
12. serpent or snake
Copyright 2004 Denise Steene
Return to the Bible Games page
You can make a difference!
Your purchases and donations to the site help to distribute our children's ministry resources to churches across the world.
Subscribe to our Newsletter - Learn More