A few fresh weeds dug out from the garden.
A bag to carry the weeds.
Green crepe paper cut into wide long strips, (about seven or so and 0.5 m long).
A box to carry the cut paper strips.
1. To help settle the children, begin as quickly as possible.
2. Pull out a weed from the bag and ask the children whether they know what kind of plant this is. Someone will know it is a weed.
3. "Yes, it is a weed. I have not been doing any gardening for awhile, and yesterday I noticed that my wonderful green lawn was nearly covered with weeds. It did not look like a lawn any longer."
4. Pull out the other weeds to show the variety of weeds found in the lawn.
5. Explain the nature of weeds. "Weeds can cover the grass, they can kill the grass, they can change the lawn into a nasty weed patch. It can happen quickly especially when you don't look after your
6. (Change direction.) "Jesus talks about weeds in the Bible. Weeds are like sins in our
lives, but these weeds, you can't see, they are inside us."
7. Take out from the box one of the crepe paper strips. Hold it up and say, "I have a pretend weed, and I'm going to call it,
hate. Perhaps there is someone at school that you hate, well that's a weed". Drape that weed over your shoulder, so that it becomes
"a part of you."