I bought a brand new box of pencils this week. Something funny happened when I took them out of the box. The pencils reminded me of you! You want to know why?
• First they were brand new. I look at you and realize it wasn’t too long ago that God created you – brand new. You are growing fast – and have learned so much, but to me – you are still pretty new!
• I have some other pencils here too. What is different about these pencils? They are colored pencils. The colored pencils reminded me of you too --- because your personalities are so colorful. Each of you is different. Because you are different I can tell you apart from each other.
Do you see what is inside the pencils? Yes. It is lead or the color stuff that makes the pencil work. What is inside leaves a mark on paper, doesn’t it? What is INSIDE is the most important part.
Guess what. That lead inside the pencil?...it reminds me of you too! Because
YOU leave a mark everywhere you go.
• The words you say can be good words or bad. That leaves a mark.
• Your actions can make people happy or sad. That leaves a mark.
• You can help others or hurt others. That leaves a mark.
It is what is inside of you that will determine the marks you leave.
• Sometimes when we are angry we may do something we shouldn’t.
• When we are encouraged by a scripture from the Bible, we may determine to do something good.
• When you have the Holy Spirit (Jesus) inside, HE helps you determine/decide the right things to do – not to make mistakes.
See what is on the top of the pencil? It is an eraser. The eraser reminds me of you, too (and of me, too).
What do you do with the eraser?
• When you make a mistake – you can use that eraser to remove it.
• You and I make mistakes - not just on paper but in life, too. Life mistakes are called SIN. The Bible tells us, “…all have sinned.” (Romans 3:23)